“I am human because I belong…
My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in what is yours.”
Ubuntu4Life is an inspirational initiative which draws on the African concept of Ubuntu which has at its heart the idea that
a person is a person through other people.
Ubuntu4Life seeks to release untapped resources in schools, health settings, communities and local businesses through fostering leadership with a sense of ‘belonging’ and interconnectedness.
Unbuntu4Life is delivered through two distinct but interconnected focuses of work:
Central to the Ubuntu4Life programme is the development of well-being in communities through a focus on the institutional role of schools, health, local business and community institutions.
Ubuntu at Cecil Road
We believe phrases such as “I am, because you are, because we are” and “it takes a whole village to raise a child” summarise the thinking here at Cecil Road as well as point to a practical application of our human interconnectedness.
Through Ubuntu we are able to harness previously untapped resources within ourselves and within others. It is a way of being and acting that enables us to think and behave differently as we co-create the world we need now.
- Students who are emotionally ready for learning and want to learn.
- Enthused, more creative, higher achieving and more aspirational students.
- A more engaged school community.
- Wider engagement with local communities leading to increased collaboration and additional resources.
- Leadership that sees and resolves issues from a whole systems perspective leading to greater integration within and between schools.